Act fast to address early warning signs
- Don't ignore or underestimate symptoms. Take any warning signs seriously and do not worry about sounding a false alarm. The early stages of recovery are tricky and early treatment can make a big difference in your long-term recovery. You cannot be too careful.
- Keep your medical team's phone list where it is easy to find.
- Call your medical team as soon as you notice any of the warning signs.
- Provide as much detail as you can about what you're experiencing, noting the circumstances, the timing, etc. This will help your team figure out the cause of the symptom, and the best way to treat it.
- Anytime you become seriously ill, call your medical team immediately.
- Consider wearing a Med-Alert bracelet to let others know you have received a bone marrow transplant. In case of an emergency, this bracelet can provide your contact information and important medical information.
By watching for signs and taking simple precautions, you can minimize infections or avoid them altogether. See Protecting Your Health for helpful tips on eating healthy, avoiding germs and staying healthy.