If your insurance does not cover some of your transplant costs, you can explore other financial resources that may be available to you.
The Transplant Support Assistance Funds
If you are pursing a transplant through Be The Match®, you may be eligible for Transplant Support Assistance Funds*. These funds help pay for some costs during the first six months after transplant that are not covered by insurance. These funds can be helpful with costs related to:
- Temporary housing, including utility bills if you need to relocate for transplant
- Food you and your family or caregiver
- Parking and gas for ground transportation
- Co-pays for prescriptions and clinic visits
- Insurance premiums (to continue the patient's insurance coverage)
To be eligible:
- You must be within six months of your transplant.
- Your transplant must meet certain eligibility requirements.
- You must meet financial eligibility criteria.
- You must be a U.S. resident.
Applications for the Transplant Support Assistance Funds must be submitted to Be The Match through your transplant center. Please speak with your transplant center coordinator or social worker if you would like to apply. Certain eligibility requirements apply. For questions, call Be The Match Patient Services at 1 (888) 999-6743.
Be The Match is operated by the National Marrow Donor Program® (NMDP).
*Funds for financial aid programs are available through the generous contributions to the Be The Match Foundation®.
Other financial resources
You can also search a list of other organizations that can help provide financial support that may be available to you and your family.
Many families need to start or continue fund raising to help cover the bills.
Ask family and friends to hold a fund-raising event. It is okay to ask for help. Fund raising is one way friends and family members may be able to help.