The cord blood banks listed below will collect and store umbilical cord blood for a biological sibling to eligible families within the United State. Some cord blood banks may charge your insurance company for this service. Others may offer this service at little or no cost. When a stored cord blood unit is used for transplant, a fee will be charged to the patient's insurance company.
The cord blood bank determines final eligibility for this program. In general, families are eligible for the program if they have an older child who has cancer, a life-threatening inherited blood or immune system disorder, sickle cell anemia or thalassemia. The siblings should have the same biological parents. If eligible, the cord blood bank will:
- Provide a cord blood collection kit that the family will take to the delivery hospital
- Give instructions about sending the collected cord blood to the cord blood bank for storage
- Process and store the cord blood
Families and physicians can contact any of these participating cord blood banks for more information about their sibling directed donation program. Cord blood banks should be contacted as early as possible in the pregnancy.
Carolinas Cord Blood Bank
Duke University Medical Center
(407) 667-3000 or (888) CORDUSE (267-3873)
Altamonte Springs, FL
MD Anderson Cord Blood Bank
(866) 869-5111 or email: email@example.com
Puget Sound Blood Center
StemCyte International Cord Blood Center
Texas Cord Blood Bank
San Antonio, TX
If you have additional questions, contact Be The Match® Patient Services:
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or call 1 (888) 999-6743, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central time.